Roger Federer will sit out of French Open and the rest of the claycourt season.
In an attempt to prolong his ATP tennis career, Federer decided to pull out of the May 28-June 11 claycourt major for the second year in a row after skipping last year’s due to injury.
The 35-year-old said he will instead be preparing for the hard- and grass-court seasons, which begin in June.
“In order to try and play on the ATP World Tour for many years to come, I feel it’s best to skip the claycourt season this year… I need to recognise that scheduling will be the key to my longevity moving forward,” said Federer. “Thus, my team and I concluded today that playing just one event on clay was not in the best interest of my tennis and physical preparation for the remainder of the season.”
Earlier in January, Federer won the Australian Open after being inactive for six months. As to date, the Swiss has also won two other titles this year with his triumphs at Indian Wells and the Miami Open.
The French Open begins on May 28.